Book Introduction - Philemon
Writer : The Apostle Paul (Philemon 1:1).
Date : Probably A.D. 64. It is one of the Prison Epistles. See Introductions to Ephesians and Colossians.
Theme : Onesimus ("profitable"), a slave of Philemon, a Christian of Colosse, had robbed his master and fled to Rome. There he became a convert through Paul, who sent him back to Philemon with this letter. It is of priceless value as a teaching
1. in practical righteousness;
2. in Christian brotherhood;
3. in Christian courtesy;
4. in the law of love.
The divisions are four
1. Greeting (Philemon 1:1-3).
2. The character of Philemon (Philemon 1:4-7).
3. Intercession for Onesimus (Philemon 1:8-21).
4. Salutations and conclusion (Philemon 1:22-25).